720 N. Broadway
Escondido, CA 92025
Phone: (760) 745-2125
Fax: (760) 745-1183
Contact via Email
Visit our Website
- Promoting Business
- Education Development
- Business Education
- Promoting Our Community
- Organizing Events
The Escondido Board of Trade was the pre-runner of the Escondido Chamber that was founded in 1886. The name was later changed to the Escondido Chamber of Commerce in 1895. During the early period of the Chamber the Directors met at the Lemon Packing House at Tulip and West Valley Parkway. In 1919 the Chamber built their first building at Maple and Grand. The architecture was Spanish style.
In the early 1950s the building was moved to 5th and Escondido Blvd. where it remained until the late 1950s when it was demolished and a new building was built on Escondido City property that was located on Broadway and leased to the Chamber for $1.00 a year. In the year 2000 the Chamber purchased the property from the City of Escondido at a greatly reduced price providing the Chamber would build a new building at this location. This new building became a reality in 2005.
The first annual meeting was held in 1911 where they elected the first Chairman. This was almost 100 years ago.
Organization is dependant on a long-term focus to influence the political, social, and economic direction of Escondido. The Chamber is a driving force among the key players in developing and implementing positive actions which lead to prosperity for the community, its businesses and its citizens.
The effectiveness of the Chamber is measured by the community at large through the actions of its strong and influential volunteers. The Chamber helps guide social and cultural changes with an appreciation of Escondido’s demographic diversity and an understanding of the issues.
Key products and services offered through the Chamber promote a positive community image. Imagine, showing a proactive political influence, and highlight a dramatic partnership between education and the business community, and you will see the positive outcome it has on everyone involved. These areas are supported in several ways including, the communication of the Chamber positions through the local media, increased membership size and prominence, and the building of the Chamber office facility which is viewed as a central business resource center.
The Chamber utilizes its human and technological resources efficiently. An appropriately sized, well trained staff is a key component which supports a volunteer force that is sufficient in number, well trained, and motivated. The necessary tools are provided through the continuous upgrading of practical state-of-the-art technology. This combination is essential to realizing full potential of staff and volunteers and thus enhancing the Chamber’s position.
Volunteer leadership, in particular, ensures that the Chamber’s financial health is strong, that the Chamber is a leading component for a business-friendly environment, and that the Chamber has sufficient strength in numbers to promote positive change.
The Chamber must be willing to change. This change demands greater involvement of members who understand the need to focus on established priorities. Chamber leadership thinks “globally” while making the Chamber responsive to the local needs of the community.